Labels

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

succulents; so hawt right now!

For all of you avid readers (?), this post may come with a bit of deja vu...think driftwood and flowers.

So, as an individual with a blog (there's something I don't like about calling myself as "a blogger"), I'd say one of the biggest compliments you can receive is hearing something like "not only do I love that, but I want one for myself!" Don't you agree that it doesn't get more genuine than outright emulation? Well I sure think so which is why I was so complimented when my dear friend Natasa asked me to make her some variation of the driftwood piece I did a while ago to hang in her own home. And what better occasion to give it than as her bridal shower gift! So that's what I did.
You sure see succulents all over the place these days. Don't worry though, Tash, you definitely set the trend ;)

Given her wedding floral theme centers around succulents, I decided to incorporate them instead of the flowers I used in the last driftwood piece. The tricky thing about this though was that succulents are unique in that they thrive without much water. As such, when you water them say weekly, you need to also allow for the water to drain. So while I initially planned on using mason jars, I had to instead use these tiny little pots with drainage holes in the bottom. I actually think the color of the pots compliment the color of the succulents and driftwood very well.
The metal circular things are the same things I used in the Mother's Day gift I posted about back in May. To replicate this look, drill a hole through the back and adhere it to any drillable surface with a screw. From there place the pot inside and tighten. When it's time for watering, simply unscrew to loosen and remove- very easy!

So darling, right?
Simple hanging material you can find at any hardware store.
Looks like she liked it, right?? And below is the piece hanging above her bed (photo taken with an iPhone, blah).
I actually made two of these because I couldn't decide which she would like better. After giving her the one that I loved most, I gave her the option of doing a trade out. Turns out we have the same taste...I guess great friends tend to!
Anybody want this one?


3 comments: