Labels

Monday, April 2, 2012

it's amphibious!

If driftwood could talk, I bet it would have some pretty wild stories to tell, don't ya think? That must be why I enjoy it so much- something about that weathered look really adds character knowing it's the end product of a pretty thrilling life :)

I found this piece of driftwood while walking the 'beaches' of San Francisco...not too big, not too small and just enough asymmetry to build character without making it impossible to work with. Too much asymmetry gets a little tricky if you're trying to hang it on a wall, you know?

The question was, how was I going to use it?

Who doesn't love flowers?
And aren't mason jars just the cutest thing?
Once I knew I wanted to incorporate flowers and mason jars, I had to figure out how I'd adhere them to the driftwood. I must have seen these "half circle metal things with holes for screws" somewhere before because I was able to describe them just like that when I walked into the hardware store. Not to pull gender generalizations into this, but it's a funny thing watching people (more often females than males) describe what they're looking for in hardware stores. It's as if, through some crazy process of osmosis, we suddenly become fluent in sign language because we sure has hell can't describe what we're looking for in words. Anyways, 3 hardware store attendants and an exhausting lesson in signing later, I came to find out that these "half circle metal things" do have a name and that they're called pipe clamps. They vary in diameter; I think these are 3''.
In terms of hanging, you can find endless variations of hanging equipment, you just need to make sure they will hold the weight of what you're hanging (says on each box). This type (above) is pretty heavy duty and easy to work with. Going back to asymmetry, the trick to this was finding the driftwood's center of gravity in order to know where to put the screws on either side...I had to test out a few holes so it's a good thing driftwood is already holey :)
Three mason jars and three "pipe clamps"...the cheapest materials around!

3 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful! Your mind works in an amazing way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one!!! So talented and artistic!
    ~ Natasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I began reading the part in which you hung the driftwood on the wall, the first thing that came to mind was "how did she find the center of gravity?" Fortunately I was able to exhale with a big sigh of relief when you actually did address that issue.

    ReplyDelete