Labels

Thursday, May 10, 2012

strength, humility, and wisdom: it must be hereditary

There are an endless number of things in my life that I absolutely take for granted. At the top of that list, hands down, is my most inspirational and unconditionally loving mother. If I had to compound all of my love and appreciation for her into just one day I don't even know where I'd begin because, although wonderful, a Hallmark card hardly seems appropriate.

So supplement to the sentimental Hallmark, I decided to dig deep this year and pay tribute twofold by giving my mother a remembrance of my grandmother. After all, every bit of strength, humility, and wisdom that I admire in my mom, I admired just the same in my wonderful grandmother, Mimi.

So here's to you, Meems! Now may you always have fresh flowers around your gravestone :)

Have you ever tried to do a gravestone rubbing? If so, then you know they are sure as hell a lot harder than they seem. I tried one a while back and had some silly idea that the thicker the paper the better so as to prevent breakage. FALSE. Think rice paper or something like it...regardless of what they call it, if it feels like it could break during any sort of "rubbing" situation, buy that one!
Wise words often spoken by my Grams (above).

The second most important variable to consider is the rubbing utensil. I used acrylic chalk but I hear colored pencils work too? If you go with chalk, be careful, it can get messy which is why you also need a finish spray to hold everything in place after rubbing (3 coats recommended).

I think that three little bundles of dried lavender would also look great in these little mason jars. And I don't know what these metal things are called but they can be found at any hardware store. To replicate this look, drill a hole in the back (gentleman at hardware store was nice enough to do the dirty work for me), screw into wood, place mason jar inside, and tighten...super easy!
Materials (some not included in image): rice paper, chalk or colored pencils, finish spray to hold chalk, wooden board or canvas, spray paint to paint wood, adhesive spray to adhere rice paper rubbing to wooden surface, metal thingies, screws, mason jars...done!

"For your kindness I'm in debt to you. For your selflessness, my admiration. And for everything you've done...I want to thank you". Happy Mother's Day, mom!
Miss you muchisimo.

No comments:

Post a Comment